Sunday, August 12, 2012

My First Post/How it all began..

Well... Heyyyyyyy.
This is my FIRST blog post..ever. I always told many people that when I started teaching, I would begin a blog about my teaching experience.  So here it is...my heart on a sleeve.. kind of..

* DISCLAIMER:  Due to minimal sleep in the past 2 days, I apologize for any typos..*
I guess I should start by telling you how my teaching job started. I recently graduated in May. Since then, I have been searching for a teacher position in the state of Alabama.  Let me tell you, if you are offered one (public or private), consider yourself L-U-C-K-Y. It's hard in this economy. And when I said that I looked at teaching jobs all over the state of Alabama, I was not lying. I drove 2.5 hours to have a preliminary interview.  If you know me, you know how hard it would be to leave my family in Montevallo. Anyways, I never heard anything from that interview.  During the months of June and July, I had 2 interviews with 2 schools. During this time, I sent out thousands DOZENS of cover letters and resumes to different schools across the state. When I heard nothing back from both of those job interviews or the cover letters, I seriously doubted that anything was going to go my way.
On July 26th, my dad made the suggestion that I need to make sure that my "professional attire" was assorted from my casual attire.  He commented that I needed to "prepare for rain" which is from the movie, Facing the Giants. Being his favorite the great daughter that I am, I listened and obeyed.  My clothes were sorted.. now what??
Fast forward to July 31st.  My big brother M was visiting my house for his usual weekly visit.  He was discussing what type of cake he wanted for his upcoming birthday and what day did he want to celebrate his special day with our mother. My mom tends to bend over backwards for her children, which is why I love her so much (If you're reading this mom, just know that I think your the most perfect mom ever).  She usually makes homemade cakes for her babies and baby-in-laws. However, my brother wanted his family party on Sunday. This Sunday also happened to be the day after my parents came home from week long beach trip with my big brother, K and his family.  Even though I am thoroughly convinced that my mom is SuperMom, I know she would be super stressed about getting a cake made.  Being the best sister ever, I volunteered to make the cake. I mean, I'm unemployed and live at home. I need to earn my keep.  My mom declined my offer and M said that a store bought cake would suffice.  No one in my family has EVER turned down my baking..ever. I take after the best! My dad told me the reason I could not make the cake was due to the fact that I would be preparing my classroom.  Of course, I jokingly agreed. It's common in this family.
Skip on up to Tuesday, August 7, I check the State Department of EDU's website.. NOTHING.I check one of my too many email accounts. I come across this email stating that there is a 2nd grade teacher position available at a local, private school.  If you know me well, you know that 2nd grade IS my grade. With little hesitation, I decided to make contact with them.  I could not get an answer on the telephone, so I emailed the principal.  When I heard nothing back from the email, I questioned if I should call the school again. This time, the secretary picked up. Within the hour, I had an interview in place for the next day.
My interview went lovely. The principal told me that I would know something within the afternoon.  I waited.. and heard nothing in the afternoon. My aunt and uncle graciously invited me out to supper. When we returned back to their house, I was having a polite conversation when I got the call. Of course, the first people that I call are my parents. I mean, they let me stay rent free in their house. The rest is history. I went the next day and started arranging the future classroom of Ms. C.  I haven't had a moment to breathe since.  I'll also sleep when I'm dead.

*PS: I'm slowly being convinced that my dad can see into the future. I had no time to make a cake this weekend.

Here are some photos I took of my classroom. I promise it looks much better now!
From the back right corner

Front right view
Front left view


Back Left view
How I announced it on Facebook
After I rearranged 

My school has the classroom rules set up.. I have a few more to display..







No comments:

Post a Comment